Sporting stars from across South Ribble celebrated their successes at this year’s Sports Awards ceremony.
The awards – held at the Leyland Hotel and now in their fourteenth year – celebrated all the great clubs, coaches, sportspeople and volunteers from around the borough.
Penwortham Town Football Club went home with ‘Community Club of the Year’, while ‘Team of the Year’ went to Leyland Cricket Academy Girls Under-13 team.
Councillor Mick Titherington, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Health, Wellbeing and Leisure said: “Tonight has been an absolutely fantastic night. I want to congratulate all of the award winners but not only that, I want to congratulate all those who have been shortlisted who have not won this time around.
“I am absolutely staggered by the amount of talent that we have in South Ribble and I want to thank all those who have been involved in organising tonight’s event because I believe that tonight not only celebrates those who have won, but also those who take part in the various sports that are available across our borough and I think this emphasises the important role that sport plays in our lives.
“Once again, thank you to everybody involved in the organisation of the evening but also all those volunteers who give their time and energy so freely to open up opportunities for our people to take up activities and participate in sport.
“I’d also like to thank the sponsors: South Ribble Community Leisure Trust, UCLan, South Ribble School Sports Partnership, Roundhouse Properties, Serco and Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland for making it happen, and for their continued support.”
Here’s a full list of the winners:
- Eddie Gregory Young Volunteer: Chloe Collier
- Primary School of the Year: Cop Lane C E Primary School
- Secondary School of the Year: Penwortham Priory Academy
- Community Project of the Year: Lostock Hall Juniors Football Club – Cardiac Smart
- Team of the Year: Leyland Cricket Academy Girls Under 13 team
- Lewis Balyckyi Rising Star: 1 st place Lauren Anyon; Highly Commended Charlie Elizabeth Crone
- Coach of the Year: 1 st place Ian Mallon; Highly Commended Jade Eccleston
- Adult Volunteer of the Year: Keith McIntosh
- Community Club of the Year: Penwortham Town FC
- Lifetime Achievement: John Pallett
Submitted by South Ribble Borough Council